Are you a Professional Artist or Company?
The AWESOME Festival is one of the largest and most successful contemporary arts festivals for children and young people in Australia. We aim to give Western Australian children and their families access to quality arts experiences across a range of art forms.
We aspire to be a benchmark for quality and to inspire other presenters to offer quality experiences rather than ‘entertainment’.
AWESOME is a curated Festival, and there is no official application process; shows are selected and invited once Jenny Simpson, the Festival Director, has seen them. Jenny tries to see as many shows and exhibitions are she possibly can and generally does not program work unless she has seen it in front of an audience. That said, she is happy to receive information about shows, films, exhibitions and installations.
We currently program performing arts about 12-18 months in advance. If you are interested in performing at the AWESOME Festival please complete the form below and we will be in touch to tell you if your work has been shortlisted for further consideration.
For companies/artists not based in Australia, please advise if there are any options available for your country of origin to cover/contribute to freight and travel costs. We have a very limited budget for travel costs and seldom program international work without some form of travel cost support.
Please appreciate that we receive hundreds of approaches every year and only a few works will be programmed.
We program work:
- that is unique
- is created/presented by professional artists
- respects and values children as citizens
- has high production values
- encourages children to think differently about the world
- invites participation
- can be enjoyed by people of all ages
- is suitable for 0-12 years (or an age group within that range)
We do not program:
- work that is not layered and could be defined as children’s ‘entertainment’
- work that is highly commercialised or part of a major franchise
- work that requires engagement through a ‘busking’ model
- shows that have or will be presented in Perth 12 months either side of the AWESOME Festival
If you believe your work fits within these requirements, we would love to hear from you. Please submit your application via the link below!