Join Award Winning Artist, Samantha Hughes for a three-part illustration workshop where she explores characters, colours, composition and more!
Samantha Hughes delights in making mischief, of one kind and another. She writes and illustrates in a sunny studio in Fremantle, surrounded by colour and cats. Sam has worked across Western Australia creating paintings, community artworks and books filled with magic and wild adventures.
Part One: Story Warm-ups
- Welcome and introduction
- 100 lines: Expressive drawing that explores mark making with objects.
- The Scribble Game: Exploring shapes and creating characters
- Magic pop sticks: Writing types of emotions on pop sticks and lucky-dipping them to create fun characters
Part Two: Visual Narrative
- Characters and expression: Using shapes to create different types of characters
- Sketching characters from suggestions
- Colour: How different colours make us feel different things
- What’s in your bag?: How objects tell us about the characters and their story
- Composition: Focus, perspective and point of view
Part Three: Mini Book Making
- How to make mini books
- Story examples and conversation starters
- How to tell a story over 3 pages using illustration concepts